vrijdag 28 september 2012

Full hinge test

Yeah the hinges work, still a bit tight thats why you hear them crackling.

zaterdag 22 september 2012

Ultimaker print with hinges

Right now I'm working on a showcase for my graduation project. The showcase is TurrisMotus and I'm going to build a 3D printer that can manufacture it. For this I need a functioning hinge design which I'm making for the Utimaker. This is a video of the first print where the hinges worked.

maandag 14 mei 2012

The video will explain it

TM 2.0 build

Hey, it's been a while but I'm back!

Introducing TM 2.0 with a new joint design. The print arrived this weekend for Shapeways so I could put it together. This design no longer has the fixed joints, instead it has a real hinge so that the crossing members can run through eachother. However this does mean that it's not printable in one piece anymore, since steel and Nylon don't yet mix very well in a 3D printer.
Here are some pictures:

The part's where so small and close together that at one end they had fused together in the SLS machine. This gave me a bit of a panic for 1/2 an hour. But in the end I decided to simply cut them loose form each other

Drilling with a 1.5 mm drill. Since the holes where dimensioned at 1.2 mm these had also been partly fused by the SLS. However they where not completely sintered through and provided a nice guide for the drill. All holes where easy to drill even with these small dimensions.

Then putting in the 1.2 mm steel wire that acts as the hinge.

And there you have it!

donderdag 1 december 2011

Project online

Yeah, the project is online. Now the hard part of promoting the whole thing. I made this clip to introduce the project. Quality is due to time constraints, if you order at shapeways.com before 4th of december you will recieve your TM (TurrisMotus) before Santa gets to your house!

woensdag 30 november 2011

Grasshopper model for making solids

So the plan was to share TurrisMotus (TM) through Shapemways. And then a solid model is needed instead of the surface model I had so far. So this weekend I worked hard to make it. Here it is:

It grew a little bigger again and some streamlining could be done to decrease build time. But this is for future models where I'd like to have a online application allowing people to build there own TM.